Dark and obscure music blog/zine since 2006 [ Post-Industrial / Ambient / IDM ]
contact: woundsoftheearth@gmail.com

| news | reviews | interviews | recommendations | releases | articles | about |

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

"Best" of 2014

As per usual yearly disclaimer: this is not a definitive list and I certainly have not listened to every release to come out in 2014; but here are my favorites out of what I did hear, in no order:

Skorneg - "Foehn"
Easily the best and most encompassing/hypnotic drone album I have ever heard. Music so deep that it transcends "music" or "sound" and becomes a multi-dimensional "experience". It's a brand new project of Fred Arbour from Cyclic Law/Visions and I can only hope that there is more to come.






TehĂ´m - "Lacrimae Mundi"
One of the best dark ambient records to come out this year, especially interesting due to the fact that this albums resurrects a project that hasn't released in 14 years. Fantastic mix of all the things I enjoy about dark ambient.






Shrine - "Nihil"
His previous release Somnia is one of my favorite dark ambient records so naturally I highly enjoy this one as well. Nihil, however, is much darker & "heavier" in some ways, though it carries the same exceptional level of production and similar spiritually deep and transcendent vibes.




Oyaarss - "Zamdega"
One of 2014's "next level" releases. An amalgam of a bunch of different styles - post-industrial, idm, post-rock, ambient, etc. done masterfully. Incredibly atmospheric, beautiful, and unpredictable. I've listened to it constantly since I first heard it. A must own for post-industrial fans.






In Slaughter Natives - "Cannula Coma Legio"
While this isn't exactly a "new" album, it heralds the much welcomed return of one of my favorite acts ever. Even after so many years, he sounds as good as he ever did. As a sign of things to come, I cannot wait for future material.







Huron - "The Other Side of Reality"
Ok, so technically this came out in 2013, but I didn't hear it until this year. That said, it's one of my favorite IDM records in recent history so it absolutely deserves to be on a Best Of list. It's full of brilliant constructions of space, complex IDM percussion, industrial accents, and dreamy melodies. The mastering is absolutely flawless and it's one of the loudest and cleanest/spacious records I've ever heard.




V/A - "Wounds of the Earth Compilation 6"
I realize that I released this and am biased, but this is a fucking good compilation with so many fantastic artists on it; I am honored to have been able to compile it.










There were a lot of other good releases this year, and a lot of great labels putting out exceptional records. Them not being on this list does not diminish their work whatsoever.

No comments: