Dark and obscure music blog/zine since 2006 [ Post-Industrial / Ambient / IDM ]
contact: woundsoftheearth@gmail.com

| news | reviews | interviews | recommendations | releases | articles | about |

Friday, December 18, 2015

Get This Album: Synnack - "V3"


So it's been a while since I've heard anything from IDM act Synnack. He released the album V2 via Force of Nature Productions back in 2008 which I enjoyed and reviewed favorably. At that time was crafting a solid mix of atmopsheric Industrial-influenced IDM, which the world could always use more of. After that he released the digital only V2.5 in 2010 which, if I recall correctly, was predominately ambient record. I think I liked it, but don't remember it all that well. I hadn't heard the name for several years when I got an email out of the blue announcing the release of the new album V3. Not that I was ever a huge Synnack fan, but for some reason I felt compelled to check that album out, and as such I immediately pulled up his bandcamp. Seems the instinct was correct as this album is really quite good. Prior to hearing it I was remarking how I hadn't heard much good new IDM, and Synnack delivered exactly what I was looking for. V3 continues on with his atmospheric IDM sound (though less Industrial now), with further refined sound design and production. The engineering/production is incredibly precise and the songs sound super deep & spacious, containing many layers and elements. I hear a lot of "max/msp" type glitchy sounds, which I dig, and to make it better these sounds & textures are used in a coherent, musical manner as opposed to the ol' Autechre-esque dsp-wank mess. Melodic elements are used sparsely, but effectively. Definitely a must have for those looking for futuristic, atmospheric IDM with industrial leanings.

[ Get It Here ]

No comments: